Welcome to Bugler's Ballyboden House!

Origins in 1798 – Gateway to the Dublin Mountains.

For over 200 years now this old hostelry has been serving the social needs of South Dublin as the gateway to the Dublin Mountains.

The first licence here was a direct consequence of the 1798 Rebellion when the British decided to construct a 27-mile road through the Dublin Mountains, into the heartland of County Wicklow, with the objective of capturing Michael Dwyer and his fellow insurgents.

This road soon became known as the Military Road as a result of its constant patrolling by various regiments of militia, yeomen and regular British forces. At that time the authorities granted permission for a new-licensed premises in Ballyboden, which effectively became a service station for the construction project and the Redcoats.

The early years of this oasis of antiquity were uncommonly prosperous as the new Military Road through the mountains opened up a whole new world of commercial, agricultural and travel opportunities. Additionally the local Rathfarnham fairs of May 15th, July 10th and October 7th brought much business to this house as the mountainy farmers, intoxicated both by the exuberance of fair fever and the fruits of the barley, savoured the long journey home.